1 can cooked spinach (or fresh or frozen)
2 T butter
2-3 T flour
3/4 C half and half
salt, pepper, and seasoned salt to taste
ham – diced (optional)
cheese – I used 1 Cup mozzarella, a sprinkle of parmesean, and a grating of gouda
1. Boil the four eggs. To prevent eggs cracking, follow Jacques easy tips, by poking a small hole in the larger end of the eggs with a straight pin about 1/8″ only (it breaks the air pocket membrane inside).
2. Boil eggs for approximately 12 min. Run eggs under cold water and peel. Set aside.
3. In one sauté pan, melt 1 T butter. Drain water from can of spinach and place in pan.
4. Add diced ham with the spinach. Leave sautéing on med low heat until no liquid remains, and ham is slightly brown.
5. While that’s sautéing, in another small pan, melt remaining 1 T butter over med low heat. Stir in 2 T flour with a wooden spoon. Pour in milk, and whisk rapidly and continuously until all lumps are gone. Keep stirring with a whisk (or fork), until mixture thickens. I like to add salt, pepper, and seasoned salt to taste here to perfect this white sauce.
6. In a shallow oven-proof dish (I used a pie pan), spread ham and spinach mixture over bottom. Sprinkle a little cheese. Arrange hard boiled eggs on top. Pour white sauce over eggs. Top with parmesan or mozzarella cheese.
7. Broil dish for about 3-4 minutes, until tops of eggs are slightly browned (like my picture).
8. That’s it. Super delicious. Super fun to make and eat!