Oh, I just LOVE doughnut days…or is it donut? Anyways, my husband and I had these this beautiful Sunday morning for breakfast. So delicious!!!!! And cheap…only about $2.00 to make! Let me share this wonderfully easy recipe with you! And be sure to let me know if you try it! : ) For a great treat on a special occasion….
You will need:
- 2 tubes small dinner biscuits (we used the .38 ones from Aldis). 2 tubes serves between 2-3 people.
- A donut holer…I used the cap to a 2-Liter bottle (= free).
- About 2 cups canola oil. (about 1.50/bottle)
- powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mix. We usually do both. (staples in the pantry for us, but very cheap too).
And the directions (only takes us 15 min from start to finish!):
- Pop out the dinner biscuits onto a cutting board. You should have 10 small biscuits per can. Using the soda cap, rotate into center of each biscuit, until middle hole cuts out freely from biscuit. Separate donut ring from hole. Do this to all biscuits.
- Heat oil in 2qt saucepan on stove to medium high heat. Oil is ready when one drop of water sizzles in oil.
- Drop 3-4 donuts in at one time. You will have to move quickly, as each donut takes only about 8-10 seconds per side, then flip with a metal utensil and do the other side.
- Transfer hot donuts onto a plate covered in paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Then, transfer donuts to powder coating of your choice. Shaking the donuts in the powder, in a small brown lunch sack works best, but a bowl will work too.
- They are ready! Enjoy!